"June bugs suck. They have to be one of the ugliest fling bugs in existence, and the dumbest too."
Day 34 & 35
You may have noticed that there was no blog post yesterday. That is because I have gotten to the boring tedious part of building the truck, wiring, which doesn't make for good photos or really much to talk about. The good news however is that I have gotten to the boring tedious part of building the truck, the wiring. Let me explain. Getting to this point means that I am that much closer to having the truck running and driving again. If you read the last blog post you will know how far I got on the wiring the first day, if you didn't here is a recap. So far I have rewired/fixed the wiring on the tail lights (turns out they don't like being ejected and swung around at speed through whoops by their wires, go figure), added a quick disconnect (trailer) plug for easy removal of the bedsides, and I had wired the fuel pump. On Day 34 I finished the tail light wiring, wired the fuel level sending unit, chassed and pulled out the wires for the vehicle speed sensor and the wires for the EVAP can sensor. All that is left to do for wiring is to hook these two sensors back up in their new locations. (the rear batteries and switches will be wired at a later date)
Also on Day 34 the truck developed a lovely fuel leak. Either one of the ports or the diaphragm on the fuel pressure regulator started to leak. Being a slow leak and by the design of the regulator it was hard to pinpoint where exactly the gas was coming from. So I spent all of night 35 working on the regulator. I took it off of the truck, took it completely apart, added new Teflon gas pipe thread tape to the ports (I'm not sure how it will hold up to gasoline but we will find out) and added a thin layer of RTV to the diaphragm sealing surfaces. I then reattached all of the fittings, tightened them as far as they would go (they are NPT so the tighter the better) and as of this morning (Day 36) the leak seems to have been fixed.
Now I just have to finish the wiring, mount the VSS, mount the EVAP can, mount the spare tires, mount the bedsides, and paint everything and I should be good to drive the truck. Wish me luck!